If you happen to have been experiencing frequent occurrences of the night sweating for a few days, it is a matter that needs to be looked into as it can be triggered by some serious underlying medical condition lurking within you. Various triggers cause night sweating and to discover the root cause; you need to visit a doctor at once. The most common conditions that trigger night sweats include
- Menopause: One of the most common triggers of night sweating is approaching menopause. Hot flushes which usually come along with menopause can even occur during night time when you are asleep and cause severe sweating.
- Hypoglycemia: This is a condition of low levels of blood sugar which can trigger excessive sweating. Sugar patients who are already on insulin or oral medicines may become a victim of low levels of blood sugar during night time which is sometimes accompanied by excessive sweating at night.
- Idiopathic hyperhidrosis: This is a medical condition where your system manufactures excessive sweat with no apparent medical reason at all.
- Cancers: Some kinds of cancers let out early indications in the form of night sweats. Lymphoma is one of the most common cancers that trigger this indication apart from other symptoms like loss of weight and fever.
- Some infections: One of the main infections that show night sweating symptoms is tuberculosis. However, there are other infections also like endocarditis, abscesses, and osteomyelitis that can cause night sweating. Another reason can be an HIV infection also.
- Certain specific medicines: Some medications can cause the adverse effect of the night sweating in patients. Some antidepressant and psychiatric drugs often have this side effect. Even simple medicines like Acetaminophen and Aspirin can trigger excessive sweating at night time.
- Hormonal Disorders: Some hormonal imbalances like hyperthyroidism, carcinoid syndrome and pheochromocytoma can all trigger profuse sweating while sleeping at night.
- Neurological Conditions: Some neurological conditions can rarely show indications of the night sweating. These conditions include issues like autonomic neuropathy, autonomic dyslexia, stroke, and syringomyelia.
Whatever be the trigger for this condition of excessive sweating, it is important that you consult your physician at once who will discover what exactly is wrong and treat you accordingly.